Wednesday 27 November 2013

Travel myths about Istanbul

 
 
Well, I'm back after a wonderful week where the weather was kind ( it only rained one day ). And I have to admit that I was at first influenced by travellers entries on the web about the city being not safe, full of scammers and pick pockets, carpet men that'll chase you down the street or human traffickers out to spike your drink and sell you into the sex trade ....omg, lemme tell you , it's all rubbish !
Especially if you see that there was no way my Oriental looks could help camouflage my existence as a tourist and help me blend in with the locals. I just stuck out like a sore thumb with my slitty eyes and all .
 
 
 

Went with the flow, rubbed shoulders with the Turks during rush hour, ended up lost at one point ( many Turks helped me find my way to my intended destination and that was when it was dark mind you ) ,took out my camera and snapped all that I could to remind me of my wonderful time in this lovely city that has completely stolen a portion of my heart.
My camera never got nicked, my pocket never short of cash unless I spent it .
Unless you've just come out of isolation, the Grand Bazaar is so easy to navigate, same goes for connecting via tram and furnicular to Taksim Square.
 

 

Istanbul has been hosting travellers far longer than a lot of other cities out there in the world. The Turks are incredibly hospitable, charming
So please, let down your guard, shed your fear and visit the country if you ever get the chance.
The city is safe, I walked back to the hotel when it was dark and never got mugged once. No I'm not counting my lucky stars, it's just that sometimes,certain travellers just let their fear get the better of them and then proceed to scare the shit out others who have never been there .
Use your camera, bring your cash, eat, dine, wander,cruise,climb, explore and don't forget to use the train during rush hour, leave your worries back in the airport terminal and enjoy Istanbul to the fullest....yeah, like I did.
 
 
 
 


7 comments:

wakgelas said...

wahhh ahmoiii., maner ole2 wak nihh.,ihhKKs

gostansikit said...

Apa tuuuuu ole2 ? No comprehendo, really. What's that ?

wakgelas said...

aisehh ahmoiii., i mean 'souvenir' from Turkey lohh..,

wakgelas said...

but no worrieslahh., wak was joking.. ;-p peace

gostansikit said...

My souveniers are my photos. Have given up buying touristy stuff a long time already, still, this time i beli bracelet yg murah je sebab i suka bracelet. Next time if got chance i get something for you :)

Thomas Lee/Lee Lip Pang said...

Tram,it looks so european.

gostansikit said...

That's true until you search for food and hear the music being played. Sort of being at the crossroads.