Wednesday 1 April 2015

Have A Happy GST ???


I can't believe the store man actually wished me 
" Have a Happy GST " 
just now when I left the outlet . 
But he did.
The gall of him. Made me feel like stringing him upside down and shaking his brains out . 
Happened at a flat priced outlet which revised its price from RM5 to RM5.65 before GST and by tomorrow , everything will shoot up to RM6. 
Grrrrrrrrr. Shopping as a therapy just got much less pleasurable. 

While the aunties and uncles battled amongst themselves to get more toilet paper , the lala luis and ah beng chais decided to cram up the tills at surprise , surprise .....Watson's. 
Proof below. 




Feeling rather depressed over the crazy parking scenes as if tomorrow was the Apocalypse , I thought real hard about where we should spend our last moments before midnight. 

" Should we buy toilet paper ? " he shook his head. 
" How much can you lausai ? " he snorted .
" What about prebooking cinema tickets ? "  I whimpered 
" The increase is miniscule " 
Drat ! Ok forget it then. 
Battle mode denied.

Then the shallow and superficial voice in my head started reasoning with my other split personality self . Oh oh ....it , I, She told me that we should go drown my sorrows by eating in a nice relaxing minimum RM100 , not so stressful environment. 
So off we trooped to Sushi Tei , the place where Nepalese and I don't know what other species of foreign workers ( gimme a break , I'm upset demmit , I don't care what they are so long as they have no B.O. and don't screw up my order ) , the place where waiters beam you their biggest brightest smiles .



The more I chewed , the more I started wondering . 
At the end of the day , it is all of us who are not in trade or business , who are gonna bear the burden . Worse still for those with huge commitments . We are lucky to have put all our dues behind us. For a while , businesses might look like the winners who will be laughing all the way to the bank . Still we will not see a price reduction due to the stubborn mindset where company bosses are concerned . 
Lowering prices would reduce annual profits and I don't see how they're gonna voluntarily do that. 
So while it seems so convenient to blame the government for this predicament we may have found ourselves in , the people who set the prices of consumer services and goods, need to keep not just profit and targets in mind. Because mass profit and a vibrant economy is quite dependant on a middle class that does not tighten it's belt for an extended period of time. 

And just what is the point of me telling you all this , I'm no economist .
 Doesn't matter ,I'm going off the handle. 
 In a spur of the moment , I took the plunge.
Finally at long last, I signed up for the RM99 Sushi Tei discount card . Small price to pay for 10 percent off my bill the whole year round. Did I mention , they'd gimme back RM120 in voucher form ? 
Great. 
 Minimum RM100 environment , just ballooned into RM200. Whoopee. Nice logic. Yeah, I'm still spending like a complete moron. 

Don't worry if you still don't get what I'm getting at. Blame it on the dude that mushed me up by wishing me 
" Have a Happy GST " 

- NOT ! -



No comments: