Thursday 28 May 2015

Summer in Budapest - some highlights


Well I'm back from my trip to Budapest and to tell you frankly , one week is insufficient to fully explore and enjoy the city to the max. 
Here are some of the highlights in my opinion

1. The Hungarian Parliament - a crown jewel in my eyes. Magnificent whichever part of the city you view it from





2. Szechenyi thermal spa - where I soaked like a hippo. Budapest is after all the spa capital of the world and there are 18 pools here alone ! 




3. Stumbling onto the movie set of Inferno / Da Vinci Code . Yes really !





4. Using the steepest escalators in the underground system I have ever been on , with one seemingly higher than the next




5. Granted audience by a medieval king who posed for my camera like he means it lolz




6. Attending a special mass in St. Stephen's Basillica




...as well as catching not one but 2 bridal shots outside. 
Yes Hungarian women are so gorgeous as you can see.  




7. Riding the many heritage trams and seeing some real leather holders still being used 





8. Being awestruck by the many handsome men in uniform complete with bayonets. 
Hungarian men will stare at us but that's all there is to it. The city is so ridiculously safe to wander around even after midnight , I wonder why I never got here sooner !





9. Savouring the famous rose gelato after lining up till my feet hurt. 





10. Enjoying gypsy and Hungarian music out in open spaces , performed by buskers 





11. Visiting the House of Terror which gave me great insight into Hungarian history




12. Entering a synagogue for the first time in my life.




13. Transfixed by the Statue of the Anonymous at Vajdahunyad Castle 




15. Walking by the Danube promenade with 2 Mexicans only to have the lights turned off just a few steps before reaching Buda Palace. Tragic at the moment yet totally hilarious situation we found ourselves in




16. Toying with the idea of visiting Translyvannia but finding all I ever wanted to see there , right here in Budapest. 
It was such a wonderful trip. I never expected to fall in love with this city but I did in the end . I found it really , really hard to leave . 




17. Having access to all the city public transportation systems for less than 5000 forints. 




No comments: