Wednesday 1 July 2015

Ensuring clams have no slime




Not many are fond of this shellfish because of the sliminess. Here's how I get rid of it.





Scrub each shell before soaking them in 
salt water . 
Fill the holding vessel to completely immerse the clams then cover them with a big bowl or plate to induce a dark environment .
You wanna do this so that they will open the shell and spit out whatever dirt their shells may be holding.

Plus , all the icky slime will be gone. 




You'll need to set aside 2 hours so that they will open up and hopefully expell whatever grit , slime, mud or sand that's inside  .

See the picture down below . This is just a small part. There was more to follow. 
So gross right ?





Reason why I took so much trouble was because I wanted to turn it into a soup. With shells on. 
Something I picked up from my last visit to Japan. 
But even if I didn't I still would have cleaned it the same way ....no way am I having any of that going into 
my gut . 


Location : Malaysia 

No comments: