Saturday 4 July 2015

Jalan Raja Uda - a nook for great teatime hawker food



You probably know how much I have been groaning and bitching on how bad Penang hawker food is becoming these days .Well ,
I walked away with a most positive experience and my faith in good old hawker food renewed .

Now , I'm not going to make this easy for you. Since it is the tourist throngs,  that spell the death knell to quality hawker food which Penang is so famous for.  Will post up a few photo clues so you can hunt them down if you want. All the hawkers are in the same area. 

First up. 
Cendol. 
If you ask me to go to that famous stall in Penang Road I would rather jump off a cliff. The other day at Gurney Paragon , I had their worst ever bowl of cendol which came with frozen unthawed green noodles . What a disgrace !

Compare with the one I found here. It is perfect ! I love this. The noodles are silky , the gula melaka fragrant and the santan not too jelak with a super cold ice shaving that doesn't go warm before the 5th mouthful. 
Perfect !




Ais kacang from the same stall. 
Did not try this so I can't tell you if it is good or not.





The number one reason we are here.
Batter coated delights .
My favourites are squid in a cup , chive balls and medium sized prawns on a stick.
Everything else you see is a glutton pig out session.





And with that, here is your first clue.
Find this stall which draws in all the ngo kwai like vultures zooming in on their prey.




Assam laksa.
Did not order this. Stole a sip and immediately ordered another. 
After this , the tourist infested stall at Air Itam can go f off.
I have found my new love. The chef is a master in my eyes if he can whip up assam laksa that is this mouthwateringly syok and delighful . 
Thumbs up. Two thumbs up. The chef is great. This dish is so great I feel like shifting to Raja Uda. 
If possible I want to eat here every day. 





Second clue. Find this sifu





Loh shee fun. Dry version.
Holy mother of gawd .
It is beyond perfect. Every single bowl I have ever had before this throughout my whole life , effectively kowtows to this. 
With the exception of the squishy fishballs , one mouthful of the sauce , rat tail noodles , minced pork and oils combined and I think I just died for a few seconds as I floated to heaven. 
Bonus is the piece of perfectly braised jelly textured pork skin. So freaking good this ! 





Third clue.
What the loh shee fun stall looks like.
This young couple is actually selling koay teow thn'g but I think their loh shee fun konlo is seriously out of this world.




Final clue. 
There is a char koay teow lady here.
Tastewise ...just ok to me .



Location : Jalan Raja Uda between 3pm to 5pm

No comments: