Tuesday 7 July 2015

Misadventures in the rain



So , I read on one forum , that the rain in Budapest does not last very long. Just sit it out and it will pass . 
Can't believe I took that at face value . And that is why this dragon seemed to be snickering at me.





Am averse towards carrying umbrellas around. 
I used to. I don't now. 




Thus , when it started  to drizzle lightly , I headed for cover.





In the next um , arch-room , was the old street musician 





Kind of enjoyed his fiddling for a while but when he started doing the same tune 
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and aaargghh not again....
I decided to move outdoors 





The echo in the confined area and at such close quarters made me grind my teeth . 
Of course I didn't grin in this manner. 
Am just showing you the first tree I sat under. Yeah, the one behind me where the concrete seat encircles the trunk. 





That tree was not only still too  near the old man , the rain fell a little bit harder and the droplets got a little bit bigger and then I moved onto this second tree. 
Yes , lighting bla bla bla , no shit , guess what ? Well , it slipped my mind at the time. One Kaboomm and you wouldn't have to put up with my rambling no more. 

Soon , I got boxed in and surrounded by 5 Kazakhs  . I don't know how come they wanted to sit under this particular tree with me  when there was that other tree. Maybe because we all looked like  slitty eyed orientals. Maybe they like sitting out in the open.  Maybe it looked so exciting. 
The minutes ticked so slowly by. They took sooooo many selfies with the only girl in their group while I was distracted by one um , lengchai standing just beside me. 
Yup , he did not sit. He stood.  This Kazakh guy was an eyeful. Nice to look at. The feeling was mutual . No words spoken and it took me a long time before I noticed that  my bag was soaked 





Headed over to this side to freshen up. 
There's a pay per use washroom and the Hungarian attendant is also very lengchai . Thank goodness . Least I have something interesting to look at.
And then those Kazakhs thought it was a good idea and followed me in here also. K....bit too claustrophobic . Impossible to look at 2 lengchais at once. Time to flee.  





See someone come out from a door by the side of the washroom and then I follow suit.
Turns out to be some sort of Marzipan exhibition of sorts 






Bored to death, I take the next exit door out only to come face to face with a very cross Hispaniola senora .
She does not hide her displeasure and shoos me out because apparently , one has to pay in order to see those marzipan creations just now.
Should I laugh or cry ? Geez , more waiting .
Yet , I tell myself to hang on a bit more. I sit by the ATM perched atop 3 bricks and I think I gave some tourists a fright since I was semi covered by a small potted shrub.
Actually I was hiding . From the Kazakhs. There was no space to sit here nor huddle under ( muahahaha ) and if they did , we would have looked like we were about to carry off a heist in our faux leather jackets and all. 
An ATM heist of sorts. 
Imagine the headlines. 

 More time passes before I decide to ignore the rain . It's never gonna stop so I might as well just do what I wanted to do . Going up.  



I remember consoling myself . 
" At least I am not stuck in a tour group ....at least I have the luxury of time "
Just thinking




Anyway, I'm up on this level and it is rather cold. Wet and cold. Miserable weather indeed. 

That's another outdoor dining option. 


 



Lots of scary statues up here. 



 


Rawrrrr



All that waiting just for this .
Facepalm. 
Dark , dank , wet , dreary



Oh I tried.
I tried so hard 2 employees thought perhaps I'd lost it a bit. 





Grin  geez. 
Skin tone the result of Hungarian rain filtered by leaves . 
Did I enjoy it ? Getting wet and all ? 
Of course I did and that's the truth !




How an imperfect weather moment binds you to the
 city . It makes you remember the miniscule hardship you want to forget. It makes the getaway a little less ordinary.
You don't get the shot you want. You want the sun to come out for a little while. You wonder why. Wonder a lot. And then you get up again and say , I'm gonna make this work. And at that moment , you see beyond the raindrops and umbrellas and mist and puddles of water. It makes you stop concentrating on the attractions but the people all around you , just as stuck as you but with faces that range from wretched to happy. 
And you learn to embrace it. 


Location : Budapest 

No comments: