Monday 5 October 2015

Golden bananas from the foothills



It has been a really long time since I'd seen these. A blight free , bruise free , fine specimen. 
To think , they were right under my nose all this while but because I have been looking in all the wrong places , it took me this long to find this local species at it's absolute finest.

Called Pisang Mas , or Golden Bananas , these are not your usual Cavendish or Montels . The skin is a thin membrane which when peeled seems almost translucent , but the flavour inside is so robust , they must have surely come from a misty hillside where cool winds and clear brooks ramble alongside a fertile lush trail .

Priced at around MYR 7 for this comb alone , yes it is indeed exhorbitant . But again , by virtue of being almost perfect , I returned again to load up on another comb just before the shutters went down .

" By the way , where did these originate from ? " I enquired
" These are from the foothills " replied the trader while pointing towards Penang Hill. 

No wonder they are so sweet as if a barrel of sugar was injected into each fruit .






Why the sudden urge to go get some ? 
Well now , just take a look at what Gurney Drive looked like earlier in the afternoon . And while I may not be the healthiest eater most times , I think I should load up on some natural goodness especially during times such as this. 




As I bang my thoughts out now at this hour , it has begun to rain. There is a burnt smell lingering in the air. 
The Nine Emperor Gods festival is about to begin .....during which rain is expected to fall torrentially for all of 9 days , as it is said to be a vessel in which the 9 Emperor Gods will arrive in to bless and protect the land of its devotees. 

Even though I am not amongst the sea of faithful who will be adhering to a strict vegetarian diet during the said period, I am so looking forward to the skies pouring , as God knows how much we need the rain to temper the dry , still and acrid choking air from killing us slowly from within . 


No comments: