Thursday 26 November 2015

Laksa Dusun Mini Stadium



The original plan was to go pay the very addictive Laksa Tempurung a visit. But since it was closed , I decided to give this place a try . 
Run mostly by a bunch of men except for the sole woman chef who occasionally hovers near the stove , some of their takeaway customers like to give the hanging plastic birds a little squeeze . Makes for a lighthearted moment then .

 From the price list , I'm guessing that they produce the noodles themselves. Name of the shop , makes me wonder if I'll get farm fresh produce in my noodles , since Dusun means Orchard in Malay .

Malay style chicken rice and nasi goreng fried with salted fish is also available but I'm just going for the fishy spicy noodle today .







So this is what the dish looks like .
A muddy coloured , fishy smelling blob on a plate . Which as a Malaysian , I can tell you is one sour soupy spicy meal , I do look forward too. 

Soup base is not as salty as the one at Laksa Tempurung and the noodles are definitely made from rice rather than flour due to the lumpy texture.  
Hard boiled egg is an inclusion you can find in the northern Malay states . 
Mixed into the soup , the effect is mouthwatering as the tamarind slices tend to further soften the whites . 
Love biting into the coarsely and unevenly cut cucumber with skin on and raw onions . 
However , I soon found out that the greens also consist of a lot of chopped cilantro leaves mixed with the most lethal dose of just cut, very fresh and therefore extremely fiery bird's eye chillies .

While the flavour was fishy and rather flat with just a hint of lime , the fire from the chillies lit a bonfire in my gut ! 





Could not resist trying the afternoon fritters called cucur udang . Made from a batter of flour , mixed with chives and beansprouts , inclusive of a square of deep fried tofu , my jaw almost dropped off when the shy young girl asked me for MYR 2 only.
 Unbelievable that food this cheap, lies just minutes away from Penang. Because it was a bit overdone as well as hard and dry round the edges , but no less tasty and a whole lot better than a lot of places ,
I immersed it one piece at a time into the laksa soup. Tastes even better.

(Cucur stall is just opposite the laksa stall )





Result : I became an astronaut in the loo, the next day . Told you the laksa was hot .

Laksa price : Cheap

Cucur udang price : even cheaper


Location : Kulim , right side of the stadium .


No comments: