Friday 12 February 2016

Teochew Opera character walkabout - Chinese Market by Inthebox


I have never gotten so excited seeing a Chinese Opera troupe in all of its glory . 




In Malaysia , the troupes are getting so ragged and aged , with costumes that badly need more than a mend and a wash , it was a revelation for me to stumble upon this very young troupe , all decked out in the brightest togs complete with peasant feathers , hand embroidered detailing and duelling spears 




As I am nearing senior citizenship soon , I find myself appreciating the melodies I once found so excrutiatingly torturous to endure 



Due to my personal preference ,I find myself gravitating towards the lone hot Barbie pink rose amongst the bushes of thorns .
Her make up is so perfect ! 




Pleases me to know that in Thailand , the Chinese Opera troupe is still an important feature to appease the deities . 




Where their lion dances lack the amazing pizazz perfected by Malaysian lion dance troupes , 
I find that I have to put my jaw back in as I find myself transported back to an era long gone . Was truly mesmerised by the characters standing just a few steps away .



After striking a few poses the troupe members granted some shoppers photo ops .




Surrounded by the clangs of cymbals and beating drums , they made their walkabout through the outdoor flea market known as the Chinese Market by Inthebox , while we continued exploring the fantastic dining options located on 2 lowest floors of the bustling Helix Quartier



Location : EmQuartier , Bangkok

No comments: