Thursday 8 December 2016

Go Noodle House


There is a perpetual queue outside this outlet .



See ?
Queue .
Waiting is a must .




An
 undeniably faint smell of Chinese wine which envelops the premise immediately tells you what their speciality is .




All these bottles you see lining the shelf at the back , these are not empty decorative containers .




They actually belong to customers who have bought the aged , newer or vintage wines , at prices that range from below 40 ringgit to above 400 ringgit . Per bottle .




Anyway I've still got a long way in discovering real Chinese food from China . I still consider myself a novice. And I was so hoping that this could sort of bridge the gaping hole  between us . 

If I thought that the cuisine in Beijing was odd , that young traveller whose mum is a high ranking army person , showed me that there IS good and tasty food to be found there , just that one had to go to smaller restaurants , some with no signages even . She was as fussy as I , and was as particular about taste , cut , presentation and freshness that I told myself that I had to soldier on and find something to like about the food which our ancestors obviously overtweaked and overhauled when they chose to stay in this region .

I guess this is the case here . While koochi moochi went gaga over this legalised liquor overpowering his soup , I wasn't convinced .





Plus I had overanticipated the fire I would get out of the chillies in the spicy version . It was very spicy yet it lacked an arousing kick .
Found the bursting meatballs to be more agreeable even though the very mismatched vegetables were a little bit off putting .




By the time I started sampling his Panmee , and found cold boiled Bayam leaves on the side , I rolled my eyes upwards .
He liked it . I didn't .

In all instances , the noodles for me , were neither silky , nor tasty , but overtly springy and insipid .
That's my opinion .




Yeah , so in the end , I relied on the greasiest , deep fried fishpaste ( below which you can actually find in a pasembor stall ) and tofu skin ( above ) to perk me up .



The service staff were polite , quite gracious in fact , and an ancient atmosphere sort of recreated , 
the bowls were so eye catching , yet it fell short .
Because , if you're selling us a story about Imperial Noodles , I will expect nothing less than something exquisite . Yet no matter how well aged and expensive the wine may be , if the texture of the noodle fails to impress nor be the vehicle that enhances or traps the flavour within , I shall be very hard pressed to find a soft spot in the corner of my heart for a revisit .


Location : Gurney Plaza 




No comments: