Friday 9 December 2016

Little Corner Cafe - first time having Picotea


" The stall is run by an angmoh kia "
Which made me scrutinise the cook as he whizzed to the back of the kopitiam . I noticed a lot of New York yellow cab toys placed like a recurring theme, from the stall to the display cabinet behind .
When I checked their facebook page , someone mentioned that this was an American burger joint .

He looked middle eastern at first glance , though he could be a Lebanese , Puerto Rican or some other nationality . Didn't ask . Just wild guessing .

What mattered was , why , of all places , would a foreigner choose this far flung kopitiam to set up shop .

As well as how he could whip up a Picotea dish that tastes so yummily addictive even with flattened buns that really reminded me of that marvellous Arab bread served in Dubai airport .





Found it intriguing that the egg and chicken mixture tasted so Chinese ,
while the composition leaned towards the middle east and that roasted , aromatic golden oven juice flavour at the tip of my tongue lingered on like a real homecooked treat served in an Outback homestead .



Despite the stifflingly hot atmosphere in the shop , despite all the fans that were on at full blast , we found ourselves enjoying it as one shared dish .
We treated it as a finger food , nibbling as if we had foresight on what the dish was meant to be .



There was lettuce ( served warm yet crunchy , a pure bane in these parts as the locals refuse to stomach cold salad yet ) and that very addictive egg and minced chicken mash .
We politely ravished the penyek buns , one a regular white , the other a charcoal ( which I swear never to eat but oh em gee , I just had to pop a tiny piece into my mouth for a try )

Effortless finish with much control on our part as it was quite good I must say .




Being very observant , I think his older female customers secretly fawn over him and wonder how she ended up with him .

To the point that it scared me a little because it reminded me of how one ex colleague got laid by an overzealous married female admirer the night before his wedding . She thought the air stewardess he was about to call his wife was not beautiful enough for him and despite having a very loving husband , schemed to bed him . Which she did !

Totally and completely irrelevant , but that's me . 

When I eat , it can trigger an avalanche of emotions and unearth the past into a reflection , as I try to come to terms with familiarity and newness all together in one spider webbed network , placed on a plate to pleasure my tastebuds .




Location : 81 , Jalan Kota Permai , Taman Kota Permai , Bukit Mertajam

Facebook page link : 
https://facebook.com/littlecornercafe/

Would I return : definitely

Warning : long waiting time , very stuffy shop



No comments: