Tuesday 17 January 2017

Restoran Kam Wan - freshest steamed red tilapia I ever had in my life !


We hardly know where to venture just to get a good eat in Ipoh ,
as our tastebuds especially mine , have been completely tuned towards our favourites in the northern region leaning more towards Penang and Kedah . Even then , you may find this surprising but whatever we have tried in Ipoh so far , over the years , mostly we found the majority of recommended places to be highly disagreeable , except for those few places which I have posted up here in this blog .

That's until he brought us here .
Oh mai gawds , so now I know ..... this is where everyone goes to .




Without much ado , he dove straight into this bowl of what they call curry mee , which he has been craving and raving about all the way into this housing estate .
Never seen anything like it , tried a sip , found it a little thick and when he mixed it together , I found it too weak . Oh for crying out loud .
Decided to try my luck with other offerings 



In the meantime , the others had ordered some desserts .
Ais kacang .
Found this a complete turn off . Don't ever do this one . 
Strange flavours .Ugh !


They , on the other hand , fought over this fruit ice thingy .
While I procrastinated and mulled till I took a tiny sip and still didn't see what the fuss was about



Actually wanted to try the Hoi Sin sauce crabs ( smelt so good when someone ordered a platter behind us ) but because none of them were keen on crabs at this juncture , 
I decided on steamed Red Tilapia , locally known as Fei Chau Yee .
Price for this specimen was around 30 ringgit or so .
Yes , I have been craving for it since that time we had that udang galah in the oil palm estate . 

Tried steamed tilapia in a few places over the years . All of whom I would rather forget than step into ever again .

Yet I always hope . And this time I sort of hit the jackpot on the dot , when it comes to freshness .




Now look , I did not quite fancy the sauce either , but the fish was supremely fresh and so flaky it felt as if I were having cod . 
Once again , I'd like to reiterate that I've never had any Tilapia as fresh as this before in my entire life . Not in Kedah , not in Lukut , not even in Penang . Patin yes ( self cooked a river caged one from Pahang , the fish lasted the journey home gosh ! ) , Tilapia all smells of mud , at some point .
However , with this one , there was absolutely no "earthy" smell . I am in awe of how they did it ! 

Being ever so fussy has it's pitfalls and I somehow found fault with way the fish was presented .
Had to cover the eyes else I would have lost my appetite as it looked as if it were still alive .

Cover the damn eyes and forget that face !



Here's what the foodcourt looks like , I really don't know why they call themselves a restaurant but it is worth a visit and the prices are decent and reasonable , with such fresh seafood that can even up those found in Kuala Sepetang , I will overlook the flaws and come back for more .




Location : Canning Garden , Ipoh 

No comments: