Tuesday 28 February 2017

Gan En Wu Tang Shui - new , clean kid on the block


It's 6pm and the crowd at Kimberley Street is not yet building up .
That gives us plenty of room to manouvre and table space to choose from which we will be hard pressed to do so at say ....8 ish .




Instead , we head straight into the newest shoplot on the block .



It's quiet . Empty 



And if you just compare price without knowing the quantity and quality they serve here , you might think they are overpriced .
Ah but that's where you are wrong .
For MYR 3.50 , you get your money's worth . In fact , they are so generous with the ingredients , some of you out there might even regard this as a meal !



 Most restaurant operators on Kimberley Street ( Gan En Wu is not the exception ) allow outside food to be taken into their premise .
Yeah , this is our 6pm feast babeyhhh.




Anyway , this Gan En Wu ( really weird name , if I may say so ) is a dessert shop , in fact most of the shops here have jumped onto the dessert bandwagon .
I'm gonna be very frank and let you know that not all of them are good .
In fact , there is one place on this very street whom I suspect is using artificial sweetener instead of sugar and I've stuck them on my boycott list .
But the fact that I have parked my ass here and am willing to pay a dollar more for one bowl of tong sui speaks volumes .

Right . Here is my favourite .
Barley with foochook .
Sweeter ( more sugar than other places , real sugar mind you , yes I can tell the difference just by taste alone )
, with sooooooo much soft gingko nuts and barley grains that still have a very " song hau " bite to it .
I say this is heaven . I love this ....even though my hips are gonna pay severely for it , it's worth it . I'll go exercise more gosh !



His favourite .
Longan with red beans .
Omg . Really good .
Damn good but I still stick to the above because that one is my weakness and I completely hate bland barley ( makes me wanna puke ).

They have 5 very basic tong sui choices . Barley foochook , Gingko , Leongfun milk and Shi Guo Teng . Nothing fancy but all good .



Hokkien mee ( intermediate shoplot is on the same side , 2 or 3 doors away ) .
This is actually more of a Mee Yoke and today I added roast pork ( siew yoke ) so from MYR 4.50 for a small bowl , I had to fork out MYR 7.50 for this but lemme tell you this portion is so big , it's like eating 3 bowls at another famous place near the Cecil Street Market .
If you add on roast pork there , prepare to be slaughtered . So not worth it compared to here .
They even put in half a boiled egg , and plenty of whole small prawns .
My current favourite .
Those who miss Ipoh or KL har mee / mee yoke , should come try this . It's really tasty and you won't be left half full .


Stewed chicken feet ( just outside this restaurant , right on the street ) .
Um , this plate is the reason why we ought to come later , the feet would be boiling hot and softer by then .
Just not so enjoyable at this hour .



Curry mee ( from this premise ) .
Holy mother of gawds , this is sooooooo freaking hot / pedas , I can't add 2 soup spoons of sambal as usual .
It is also more lemak than other places .
Overall ok lah . Can eat .



As we made our way back to the parking lot ( please try not to park illegally here , lots of tears will follow especially if your vehicle gets towed by the local council office ) I noticed a lot of foreign tourists huddled in one of the filthiest shops at the corner of the street . Which I myself would rather die and have only patronised once and that was it . End of story . No more second chance .

Now look , you really do not have to put up with unhygienic operators as there are local operators who are actually fastidiously clean , like this new shop on the block .

Location : Kimberley Street , Penang 

No comments: