Saturday 19 August 2017

Ten common sense fitness pointers for the over forty


  If you're a new reader , this year marks the first concerted effort I'm taking towards a fitter me  . 

I'm now in my mid forties , lost a huge amount in the first few months of sticking to a programme which increased in frequency each week . For the moment , I have reached a plateau , which can be frustrating  for some but requires a fair amount of drive to rise above .

Based on what I've observed so far , too many women push themselves beyond their personal capability , then become depressed and give up when they compare their progress or lack of progress , to other girls in their group .

Here's some common sense pointers I've applied to myself .


Self acceptance

I've reached the auntie age group already and I accept that .
No matter how much the truth may hurt , sometimes it's easier to embrace what you have already prepared yourself for .

For some women , ageing makes them miserable , angry even . They won't go down without a fight .

Purpose

Me . I want to be happy . I want to try and stay positive for as long as I can .Getting wired into a fitness regimen is my way of coping with the ageing process . Instead of mopping over a sluggish metabolism , nagging pains , grey hairs and wrinkles and join the fight to regain my youth , I focus on strengthening myself to tide the flow when it finally hits home .



Set Realistic Goals 

My aim other than to eventually loose weight ( that's the end bonus ) and build up my strength , is also to prevent massive bone mass loss ( over exercising causes this too ! ) , as well as improve my balance , response and flexibility , which are vital issues in old age .
It's ok , if my kangaroo pouch is still showing . Instead of trying to hide it , I won't get mad . I will let it show and I will tackle it at a more realistic pace .


Listen To Your Body

The next thing I always practise is safety . I NEVER do burpees , squats , planks , pushups no matter what ! I don't give a rats ass as to how much calories it can burn because come on , I'm not a sprightly young thing anymore .
 Not gonna end up with some serious injuries that requires physiotherapy or surgery to set it right again !

Persistence 

Your knees are hurting , your shoulder blade is killing you ....part of you
wants to skip class. Just for today .
Don't stop . No matter what . 
It's ok to do less with scaled down intensity , it's important to keep the fire going .




Anyway , what's with the self pics ? 
Well , apparently one lady got so upset with my uncharacteristically sombre appearance ( excuse the shoes ! ) in this exact get up, that I wanted to see exactly why this triggered such a reaction in her ( other ladies have also reacted but she took it the worst )  
even though
my hair is such an obvious mess , my tum is still extended and my weight is depressingly stuck in time . 
Which brings us to the next point .

A Positive Attitude

You can choose to see the plateau as zero improvement . Or not .
I view her reaction as an indicative measure of certain success. I choose to see the light when I find out that my back upper thigh area , which looked like it was condemned to be cellulite ridden forever , is now close to being smoothed out , so that in itself IS cause for celebration .
The attitude you adopt will be in tune with your outcome . If you keep focusing on other ladies achievements , which is likely gonna depress you since some of them seem to be cyborgs , half the battle is lost already . Try to keep that in mind .

Be Serious

Some women take ridiculously long breaks , some hog crucial space to indulge in selfies , others are playing the fool half the time , and then , there is that one group which stops the instant sweat beads start to form because that would melt their makeup ! 
Having fun is one thing , forgetting what you are there to achieve is another .

It Takes Time

Be aware that the process is going to take longer than a supple lovely instagrammable creature in her 20s or an Amazonian gym Queen in her 50s .

You are you .

If you're grossly overweight , you'll need a year to 3 to melt away .

Not 3 months . I'd be extremely worried about loose skin and a haggard appearance , if I were you !

Eat

You need nourishment . The body will self correct eventually . Unless you're going for a competitive event , it's ok to have lady lumps ! It will get smaller in the end but in order to get to that stage , you need to feed your body or it won't perform the way you want it to .
Besides , if you starve yourself , where on earth are you going to find the energy that will keep your engine running ?

Non Conformity 

You do not have to feel compelled to stick to one instructor or programme or gym only . You're there because of you . Have no qualms about taking tips from other instructors or gym buffs .
 After you've mastered some reps , strive higher but at a pace you are comfortable with .
Bored with your current instructor ? Switch !


Hope you find the above useful !






1 comment:

Devender Gupta said...

DTC BUS APP – #1 App for All mode of public transports (DMRC Metro, NMRC Metro , DTC Bus Routes , Auto) Best DTC App in Delhi-NCR Cities.

DTC Bus App has been downloaded by more than 1 million users, and has changed the way we check DTC BUS Routes. Initially launched in the year of 2015, DTC BUS app has now become immensely popular across all platforms.

DTC BUS APP Features

Delhi Metro Map(DMRC), Noida-Greater Noida Metro Map (NMRC) ,Route, fare, Journey Time, Card Recharge, Station Information with first and last train timings.

Delhi DTC Bus Route Detail with Source and Destination Routes.

Orange cluster bus operated by DIMTS also included.

Nearest Metro Station and DTC Bus from your Current location with distance.

Airport & Rapid Metro Gurgaon also integrated.

Latest Auto-Fare Chart

Noida Metro (NMRC) city bus is also added upto date.

Up to date data for all types of public transports in NCR , Noida, Gurgaon , Faridabad, Ghaziabad.