Friday 6 March 2015

Bee See Heong - another version of Chinese Curry Prawns


Sure , you' ve seen the brand of Chinese tea before but have you seen the teapot ? Well I haven't . The leaves inside are good on first pour , gets bitter midway but has no flavour when you add a second round of hot water , so I'm pretty sure this is a mix we're getting .



Once bustling , Kampung Benggali has seen better days and judging from the stained floors and wall , so too has Bee See Heong . Your order taker will be this old chap who I suspect is hard of hearing . Don't mean to sound rude but you'll get what I mean if you come. 




Old marble tops and kopitiam chairs can still be found at this off the main road shoplot. Customers cloistered together tonight , consist of a few local Thai women and their Chinese spouses with kids in tow. 




RM50 would suffice to pay for this.
Portioned according to pax , the prices are rather reasonable.




The prawn is yet another mouthwatering version of the Northern Malaysian Chinese version of Prawn Curry. Leaning more to Northern Indian influence with a hint of potatoes , I lamented the fact that the sauce was too sparse to distribute lavishly on my plate of rice. Large and meaty , one piece had a head full of glorious roe and I suckled on that greedily without a care . The meat is so tightly packed , some ladies might need a knife to cut through. Delish .....absolutely delish ! All the dirt and grime amassed on the floor beneath me forgotten.




Moving on to the fish , I realise at this point that I must come from a family of most excellent home chefs since I find this exactly up my alley. The black garlic sauce is alarming to say at first sight but man , somehow it just works at sealing in the sweetness of the flesh with scattered nibbles of chopped garlic permeating the front of your tastebuds nimbly . Taken in succession with the prawns above , kind of puts you on a slight high. 



It would have been a perfect home cooked meal if we did not order this strangle of sprouts. Though ridiculously time consuming , it is a sacrilege in good northern regiom homes , to not knock of the browned roots. Shelled prawns ....fishcakes....did not make a difference.
Overdone , I might go for the chai sim next time we drop in.



Location : Kampung Benggali

No comments: