Saturday 7 March 2015

He waived the extra 5 sen


5 sen did not mean a lot to me until tonight. I had bought a loaf of bread which cost RM 3.10.

Handed the Nepal guy at the counter one RM5 note. He asked me if I had 10 sen and I started to dig some coins out. In my palm I had 3 . Two 20 sen coins and I dropped the smallest one out. Realised that it was a 5 sen coin and I went something like " oh wait...lemme dig some more "
To which he said " tak apa "



I stared at him in shock. " Hah ? What ? " Did I hear correctly ?  Yeah , he meant it. The thing is, this is a convenience store. Where workers like him just get by on a salary their employers should feel ashamed of. 

He doesn't earn much but he waived the extra 5 sen. 

These are the little things that make me thankful for being able to meet such nice souls in the course of my life. I wondered if it was because I spoke nicely to his colleague the week before. When no one else cared to engage them or even look them in the eye let alone smile at them .

Thank you mister , I hope my silly surprised face  lit up your day as you did mine . I am humbled . Truly humbled. 




No comments: