Tuesday 23 August 2016

Copper thimble from Perlis



 Finally got myself a proper thimble for handstitched darning and repairs . 
Made in Perlis and crafted from copper , , it was an unexpected find in a curio shop . 
The underside is an odd museum green , the shade found on ancient brass pieces . Fits on my thumb and has a very good weight to it .







Sealed with a combo of either decorative acrylic or lacquer , the design is that of a hibiscus in batik form .

 I recall us stopping in Solvang and going gaga over the choices of dainty porcelain thimbles on display .
Reminded me so much of Central Market in KL , during it's super crafty heydays when the Magpie's Nest held court .

Until I checked the prices out and almost got a heart attack from it . After conversion , one thimble , would cost me anything between RM 35 to RM 50 .
Now , I'll have you know I think that was terribly overpriced and proceeded to check our other places from Nevada to New York with zero success .

In the past , I did possess a lightweight aluminium thimble which was so thin , I was afraid the metal would puncture through and destroy my finger if I ever pushed it too hard . Better I throw the sock than risk getting poked eh ?

Well , this one's definitely safer .
Cost just RM 5 ringgit . 
Mighty pleased with it . 

Location : Penang 


No comments: