Thursday 11 September 2014

Grilled by the neighbourhood grocer





Me :  Do you have Nam Yee ?

She : Nam Yee ? What is Nam Yee ?

Me : ( What the ? Scratching my head cos I never had to explain what this is before )
Neh...that smelly fermented red beancurd we dip into Moy

She : ( hollering to her hubba ) 
Do we have Nam Yee ? 

Her hubby : ( shuffles over, points out 2 forlorn altar red bottles sitting on the shelf )
Is it this one ?

Me : ( I grin at him and break into a big smile )
Yes ! Yes !

She : ( giving me a suspicious look )
So...you dip this into porridge ? 


Me : Ya, but I'm not having it with Moy. I want to cook pork belly stew with it.

She : Oh ? You know how to cook that ? 

Me : ( no, I use it as a face mask ,hair conditioner and experiment )
Yeah, sort of. Really delish.

She : So what's the recipe ? 

Me : ( WTF why am I getting grilled hah ? )
Er....

She : everything is agak-agak ?

Me : ( don't know how to eat with porridge, but wanna know how to cook it ? I don't think so ) 
Er yeah..am unable to recite the exact recipe to you offhand

She : So, do you smear this paste on the meat or......

Me : ( Eff...eff...eff.... when she's not busy tearing brochures she turns interrogator )
yeah, yeah , but if you're really eager to learn the recipe,  you should go into one of them Hakka villages and learn from one of the housewives who are experts at it rather than from me. 

She : And where am I supposed to find a Hakka village ?

Me : ( aaarggghhh ...how the heck should I know...Balik Pulau maybe ? Balakong ? Tongsan ???? )
Gee...I don't know, I picked this up from another state. 

She : I don't have the time to go make friends with such people

Me : ( ohmaigawd she's driving me crazeeeeeeeeeee !!!) 
Can't help you much. I'm only making this for my own consumption because I can't find this dish in Penang

She : Humph

Me : ( Fled by the time she thought of another question ) 

No comments: