Thursday 10 March 2016

I have ears



Am standing in front of the hypermarket butcher , selecting some beef cuts when he , the oldest of the lot ,in his 40s , is joined by 3 younger assistant butchers who start nudging him and stuff like they're a bunch of schoolboys teasing him or something .

Somewhat used to this kind of response from Mat Rempit types already ( oh this is normal )
I put on an emotionless face while trying to look unbothered .

Unfortunately , I come equipped with ears .





They're giving me side looks while continuing to jibe him with
" Hisap ! Hisap ! Hisap lah weh !!! "

Boom ! 
The gall of them ! Could they have at least been more discreet or did they do that because they thought I was not a local ? Or are my people so deadpan unresponsive and unbothered that others think we probably have no idea what's going on ?

Take a deep breath .

I look him straight in the eye and proceed to give him instructions in Malay .
The colour drains from his face because he probably thought I was not local Chinese to begin with , since most Chinese here do not eat beef plus there are pockets of Koreans and Japs who hover in this section .
When he semi recovers from the shock , he has morphed into a totally uncooperative asshole . Won't do this . Won't do that . Stares and looks cross in a most failed attempt to cover up his folly .

Compare this specimen to Tall Boy . In spite of the slip ups which happened days ago , I think he's really warmed up to me and when he gave me my change back , there was a marked difference  . The wall had crumbled , he was a most gracious and respectful gentleman ( yes I do notice all the small details ) , instead of the moody stick he usually was and because of that I gave back as good as I got from him . The exchange between us was almost ancient and pompously steeped in decorum lol , I think if great Master Ken was in line he'd say " This is bullshit ! "  .
What-e-vah !

When respect is given and earned , and the feeling is mutual , as different as we may be , it levels us up on one plain , to put our best foot forward to engage in a polite dance . Which , fuddy duddy as today's world may see it to be , is such a refreshing throwback , it elicits the most positive response compared to one where the men still think that it is ok to be rude and crude , regardless of who , when , what or where , they or we may be .

No comments: