Sunday 2 October 2016

Tastes like .....


I want you to look at the prices first .
Next thing you should know is that we tried both fishes shown on the menu . 

The waiter had warned me that the restaurant was reluctant to serve the deep fried fish since they'd run out of the sauce . Told him I didn't care , and that I want to try that .
He complied .



So yeah , despite it being " out of stock " I got them to squeeze out the Aji Goma Age ....a deep fried aji fish
costing MYR 21.80 .
But instead of being skewered and curled as shown in the picture above , it was served flat . 
Shucks .

Good thing both sides of the fillet were skillfully cut out , deboned , floured and deep fried before being rearranged this way on the skeleton .



When the Aji Steak 
( described as a panfried aji fish and tangho , with a serving of Japanese pepper and sweet sauce on the side ) arrived , we stared at this plate for a full 5 seconds or so before bursting out in laughter .

At MYR 26.80 ..."mana ooo kau ciak ?"
Oh mai gawds . 
Two of the steaks Combined were no bigger than One half boiled egg .
Oh mai gawds . Oh mai gawds .
Of course you'll have a Gorshira problem when 2 fish steaks are still smaller than 3 small green chillies !

Nevertheless that was merely the first impression . First bite proved to be such a mind blowing experience , the spectrum of tastes in itself justifies the steep pricing .





While I will have to admit that the ( miniature ) steaks were unforgettable and so delish , and the accompanying garnishes were absolutely flavourful as well , because the sauce was omitted for the deep fried fish , I came to a point where I wanted to kick myself as I could taste it for what it was . 

Very frankly it tastes like ikan kembung and we'd just paid a bomb for it just cause it came from the sea off Japan .

Ever felt like kicking yourself ?

Location : Penang 

No comments: