Monday 30 March 2015

At Jonker Walk


Although Datuk Wira Dr Gan Boon Leong spearheaded the transformation of Jonker Walk  , the initiative would not have been made possible without the auspices of Datuk Seri Haji Mohd Ali bin Mohd Rustam .



It took 8 years before UNESCO accorded it world heritage status although it beats me why because I think it looks like any other bustling nightmarket at first glance.  On weekends , the crowds pour in till the roads surrounding it are choked and other than being very artificial , I am going to go in and hopefully find something more meaningful and cultural , beyond the nightmarket and see what else it has to offer the curious visitor. 
It was in this throng that we stumbled upon Johan , of Maharaja Lawak fame, obliging fans with a groupfie....if that matters too you. 




In a little turn off  , lies the 1748 Kampung Kling Mosque . Said to be built on the original site where Indian Moslems traded during the 14th to 15th century , it boasts Sumateran , Malay and Chinese elements in it's architecture and interior. 



In another lane not far from that , Straits Chinese shophouses , squirell away a gathering of beer drinkers  




One is apt to notice that most traders here are their golden years. Those who aren't businessmen , provide  impromptu street entertainment .
Take a look at the 2 stage hands below . 




Meanwhile , this product demonstrator also sports a crew cut tuft of white hair.




Sifting through the myriad stalls , I found Hello Kitty cookies 



...  and ice cream sold in gardening pots .
There were quite a number of these stalls till I got kind of cheesed off when I came across yet another one .
Why ? What is the point ? Why would I want to eat ice cream out of a plastic terracotta coloured flower pot ?
Apparently lots of youngsters would. 




Over on this end , we found steamed buns shaped like cartoon characters. 
Hmmm. 



Maybe they're hawking those things because traditional hawker style meals , like the Radish Cake , entails too much hardwork. 
Nice to see some frying action going on. 
The rate things are going these stalls will be gone one fine day because the younger generation prefers to whip up less messy dishes at a fraction of the backbreak .




My food experience here was not entirely positive . I discovered that some retirees cannot bake. Oh how the Nyonyas would love to twist their ears .




Turned my attention elsewhere to try to forget the above abomination .
A coin trader catches my interest and then I loose it just as quickly. 




We end up lugging some of these crude wooden toys back , though I am darned sure they came from Thailand.




Well , I definitely saw these pop up cards, being sold in Siam Paragon , so where is the originality ? 
Maybe I shouldn't travel so much.
Then I wouldn't know. And you wouldn't have to put up with my complaints. 




Next to a warriors grave lay this gaudy offshoot.
Hang Kasturi's to be exact. Hang Tuah's buddy. How shocking to find his tomb surrounded by a slew of leftover drink cups. Techno blaring away in the background. 
No pics of the said tomb coz I'm a scaredy cat. Don't wanna see something materialise in the photo afterwards 




Anyway , we went in further and found a mini target shooting booth. 
Right beside this booth , is the site of a very potent Datuk Gong's shrine where Chinese devotees had lined up 3 snack plates from KFC for the resident spirit . Sometimes I really wonder if they know what they are doing . Material wealth takes so much precedence over logic. Bribery crossing realms. I really am in no position to be critical but I hope they know what they're doing and not end up angering it. 




Let's get out of there and head to the permanent stage where Rooney is pictured holding some chips.
Listen to this old timer belt out an old hit.




Not cool you say ? Heck , even foreigners are lapping the free entertainment up.




When the show ended , we found out how the organisers kept away the plastic chairs. Under the stage it all went.
Before Ikea , this is nothing short of amazing. Today after visiting Ikea in 3 countries , I still find this system amazing.



Well, we'd covered the street from end to end and found that souvenirs and curios are very possibly monopolised by one major supplier .
How boring to see one repetition after the next even though I do on any given day , I do and would enjoy perusing if I should pick up some these tin signages. 



Still , it does Jonker Walk does offer some intrigue .
These frangipani's remind me of the mourning halls we passed along the way. Yes , the street alongside the senior amateurs karaoke singers and gaiety is something you'll either hate or love , but nonetheless remains unforgettable and eye opening with something for everyone. 




Location : Malacca


No comments: