Friday 27 April 2012

Myanmar Jade, bought from an Italian


He's from Milan and he runs a flea market stall here in Penang hawking gemstones .

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first picked the Myanmar jade up.

" How much is this ? "

"$45"

Woah. So cheap?
First thing that comes to my mind is, that it's a fake. But I am intrigued.

I bargain. He relents.

I put it up against the light and see the cloudings. Marks of a lower grade jade. Emerald green. Marvel's Green Hornet green, the type of green that would cost a bomb if you picked it up from a jeweller.

Last I checked, a more perfect clear piece with no clouds , costs $25,000 for a miserable piece of what looks no larger than two small beads.

There are flaws in the one this Milanese is selling,due to the cutting process. Nicks here and there. But I'm good, it doesn't matter, so long as I like it. No actually, I love it.

Being travellers, these foreigners know how to haggle, stretch their dollar and earn their keep to sustain themselves while in paradise.

I believe, the Italian travellers in particular refer to Myanmar as "Magnifico" . So I'm not going to prod him further, I want this. I believe him. Still I want to be sure.

Two weeks later, the colour has not faded,darkened or lulled even after showering and wearing it 24/7.
I am extremely happy and am back today, to pick out another 2 pieces to turn into earrings to match the original pendant.





But he's not around today. He has an assistant. A call goes out and the boy tells me he'll be back in May...maybe. After he goes from Langkawi to KL. Perhaps he has business there too ?

I ask for permission to take pics. The boy declines because according to him, his boss is particular about his designs being copied.

So I guess it's up to you to find where his stall is.That much I can divulge to you.

But for now, I'm extremely happy indeed that I don't need to hop on a plane to scour Rangoon's Bogyoke backlanes for this.




No comments: