Sunday 20 May 2012

(NH ) Ming Xiang Tai, Jalan Burma



Ming Xiang Tai was featured in todays newspaper. How come I didn't know even about this place until today ? I just had to check this one out.





The writer raved about the Trishaw Egg Tarts sold here.

Am about to put this to the test.





The custard is rather wobbly. In fact, it's softer than most.

Tastes like it has some ginger in it.

Not too fond of this as I prefer my egg tart to taste egg-ier rather than ginger-ish.




Crust is super flakey. Doesn't crumble easily.

Comes off in beautiful petals.

But tastes quite plain because apparently the owner keeps his products pork free which means no lard oil for glaze.

Also the crust tastes like the crust for some sort of pneah with honey. Not exactly the sort of crust to apply to a tart.

Nevertheless quite interesting.






I also bought some pineapple tarts and salted egg pastries .




The pineapple tart has a marmalade like jam wedged in between the saltish buttery crusty crumbly top and plain flakey tart bottom.

In the centre, you will bite into a small hard piece of pineapple core.

Too sweet for me, even though I liked the combination.





Moving on to the Salted Egg Pastry.

The lotus paste is not too sweet while the salted egg is not too salty.

Only thing is the egg in the centre is like a hard lump. Not sandy and grainy.

But I like this the most, out of everything else I have tried.




The one thing I simply could not resist was this pig in a basket.

Super cute but super expensive. $16.






Verdict : Oklah, can eatlah. It's the shop decor that makes it stand out and win over women's hearts

Price : reasonable, can be considered value for money

Contact : 04 2279880

Address : 133, Jalan Burma, Georgetown 10400 Penang

Directions : from Komtar head towards Tune Hotel , look for Chew Thean Yang Aquarium. It's a large multistorey pet shop on the right. This shop is just opposite it.


No comments: