Wednesday 6 June 2012

Lok Yeun Chiu Chau, Soy Street



I had such high hopes. 3 years back, every restaurant on this street churned out exceptionally good food.

Today however, many have changed hands and this area where there is a junction is a huge tourist trap, mostly known for Teo Chew cuisine and typhoon shelter style clams . Still I was not dettered and went ahead into this restaurant.






We sat right in the middle of the restaurant, ignored by the surly, unfriendly, worn out staff. 




All the empty seats are soon filled up because there is some kind of happy hour promotion which we cannot make out as it is all in chinese.

We don't know that yet and proceed to happily order because we think that we have found a nice place where locals come to for good food.





As I remembered, the beef noodles on this row were excellent. Wrong !

Either, I do not know how to appreciate Teo Chew food or this is crap.

The soup is clear, the noodles tastes like boric acid, the meat is hard and the fat is capital yuck !




While the meatballs are slightly better and quite tasty , the noodles are certainly no better. Like shitty threads floating in a toilet bowl .




Red bean iced drink is also crappy. Tastes rawish, smells " chow zhang ". Yuck yuck yuck. Not nice at all.

Regret is starting to fill my head at this point .




Milk Tea.

Something I want to forget.




Then, a guy joins our table. This is acceptable. He places an order and soon kicks up a fuss. Apparently he made Happy Hour on time but the staff have listed him as arriving later than that on the bill.

They change his bill for him but not before demonstrating their displeasure by throwing cutlery into the bins in a very loud manner.

I quickly turn to face this greasy,oily cluster of condiments.

This is Mongkok after all. Who knows if you are dining amongst a fraternity of gangsters.




When it comes to our turn to pay the bill and we point out that the server has forgotten one order, the cashier gets cross with us.

Que sera sera. I don't care if I get hacked by some parang wielding Ah Fei Chai, your food sucks. No. I didn't tell her that. What ? You want me to die ?




The place and cuisine I want to avoid at all costs.




No comments: