Wednesday 5 February 2014

Bangkok Protest Tourist - post #1


Boy what a way to kick off CNY. Flying straight into the eye of the storm not knowing what to expect.
Exciting and stupid maybe, but well, the lure was too much. 
While others changed their destination to Phuket, Chiangmai, Hua Hin even, I dug my heels in. 
Although location wise, some might consider the hotel which I stayed in, to be in the heart of the protests, but it was perfect for me. Easy access to complexes that closed early.
Certainly helped that I needed no guide, as this is not my maiden trip. And the location, which is one I'm familiar with,
allows me access to alternative neighbourhoods in case of "what ifs " As well as sleep safe.



 My lifeline was not mainstream CNN or BBC but Vanina Sucharitkul, Richard Barrow , Gavin Gough and Barrie Brown on the social media . These vastly different individuals with different takes on the situation at hand, helped everyone in the Land of Smiles keep abreast of whatever was happening on the ground .

Kept connected throughout with True 3G wifi for tourists.
If you have trouble registering, just nip over to a mobile phone counter and they'll help you in return for a fee.

 

Still I knew that I was pussyfooting with danger, as evident by reports of grenades, shootings and drive bys.
And while some photographers claimed to have been manhandled by the locals on the streets, I had no such problem. They either avoided looking at my camera or posed willingly like this guy down here

 
 I felt the anger and outrage. Especially on the eve of the elections when so many different shirted camps emerged to put an " Oh dear" on the blinker.
Even with a thorn in their behind, the Thais prove themselves to be world class hosts.
You should have been there, you shouldn't have switched your destination. It was an experience which no tour company would ever have the balls to arrange an itinerary for you to venture into the territory of protesting grandmothers and " the biggest money making scheme" in the form of street vendors of every kind lining the streets.




Location : Bangkok

No comments: