Tuesday 4 March 2014

When wanderlust strikes again



My feet get itchy when yet another travel fair comes up. Although that means that my pockets will surely bleed , I never wanna cure myself, no, not just yet . And so I pore through the adverts on the net and the print media. Lusting, planning, wondering if I can land myself yet another great bargain like what I got for Istanbul . Travel agents, huh, they can do magic when they want to. Yeah, even during super peak season . It's up to you to find them.
 To me it's mighty important that I get big savings on one end ( the airfare of course ) so I can freely spend on other niceties like dining and attractions as and when I wish. 
Prefer going FIT ( Free Individual Traveller ) so I can spend lots of time just wandering around , as opposed to hotel hoping at ungodly hours.

However, the bulk of the bargains lie in the group tour packages . A category that makes me feel so hopelessly useless as a human being and horribly restricted as an individual  . It's always a risk if I purchase and they compell me to follow the tour, go in and out lousy factories and tourist shops , up down darned tour buses and for gawds sakes yet another Chinese restaurant . I didn't go halfway round the world to eat Chinese food for crying out loud .

So this is how I do it most of the time. I'll settle on a tour package but opt out of the tour. And even if I'm not tagging along with the group , I always pay the guide his tip for the entire duration of the tour . So he stills makes something out of me, and I don't get any problems from him. Should the tour span a couple of cities and countries, I ask if there are Free & Easy tours , then settle on just one city and extend the stay for one week. Save money and save my sanity.

I could blab on forever but, time is ticking and Matta's just round the corner. Problem is , where in the world would you like to go this time gurl ? 
We'll see, we'll see. 


No comments: