Sunday 28 April 2013

Ammu's Corner - Brickfields


You can't imagine how pleased I was to see that this little shack was still up and running, since massive development has swallowed the old haunts I loved to visit.



 
This is the owner of the humble corner stall where I had so many (countless ! ) wholesome mouthwatering lunches, and beehoon breakfastses, he still remembers me till today. His wife is the chef, who whips up some of the most delicious recipes on planet earth. 





Best time to get freshly cooked out of the pot dishes here , is around 12 noon. Though we came way after lunch period today, I didn't waste precious minutes snapping pics of my meal. I mean it's been 7 years since I last ate here !




 
What I usually go for is this. Snakegourd dhall curry. I never eat this elsewhere ok ? Cos I hate dhall on my rice. Never.... But it's a different story here. The curry is light enough, not too thick nor overpowering, to pour over and wet your whole plate of rice. Try it !



Followed by this red stir fried curry chicken which gives me rosy cheeks from the slowly but surely robust, fiery build up. Both the dhall and chicken dish, go extremely well together as the chicken is very spicy and the gourd cools down your burnt tongue. 


 
Took some yellow quick fried squid ( it's so good !) but you don't get to see it, as someone wiped that out by the time I finished my meal. Everything tastes good here, his wife is a fantastic chef.
And this is how I want to remember one of the nicest, most welcoming stall owners I've ever met . I like his style of totalling up your bill, in an almost apologetic manner, for having to charge you for your meal. When he's got the time, he loves bidding every customer goodbye ( most don't notice this )




Location : Brickfields, at the corner near the post office.



 Note : closed on Sundays

No comments: