Monday 28 April 2014

Try not to mistep in the conservative district


With all the constant digging around, one really has not only to watch your step in this district but to be respectful of what behaviours are not acceptable among the sexes.
Still, coming from Malaysia, because I felt alright in this 
area, I momentarily forgot to check myself.




Bought a handcarved comb from this old Turkmenistan 
man. In my eagerness to choose, I made the mistake of 
sitting on the stairs next to him to select what I wanted. He 
played it cool but I sensed his discomfort and when I got up 
to put a further distance between us, boy,was he relieved.



Later on, I chanced upon these Turkish ladies saying an open 
prayer by a small cemetery. Seemed to be praying a long 
time, even though they were just standing there. These small 
burial plots can be found all over . Most times they remain 
pretty unnoticeable unless you really open your eyes and 
take a good hard look. Still, me and cemeteries, erm, not 
very "ngam". Which explains why I'm at a 'safe' distance 
from across the road


The tiny building next door is a village head's beat. 
 Wasn't open since it was a Sunday.


It is also here, that you can find more ladies covered up from head to toe , dressed just in black like the woman below.
Fatih can be enjoyable to explore just make sure that you are in tune with the local culture with no mistep.


Location : Fatih Mosque locality

No comments: