Monday 23 February 2015

Hualamphong หัวลำโพง is not Bangkok Dangerous


Well , here I am on the return leg and one thing I can tell you is that while Hualamphong railway station looks stunning in photos , you might not feel that way when you first step onto the platform.
The feel is not far removed from the old KL railway station , complete with smells that could have come straight out of Chow Kit or Chowrasta





However , I find it annoying that some travellers put the fear of ever taking this cheap mode of travel into others just because of its location in the heart of Bangkok's Chinatown.
All these years of travelling, I have had no encounter with pickpockets or gangs of thieves because I usually apply common sense. Keep your belongings close to you. That's all that is needed. See how I have my passport and cellphone in a small shoulder bag in front with one hand always holding onto the clasp tight. At all times. 
There is a Luggage Storage service at one corner. Use that. Keeps your bulky baggage out of the way so you can explore Chinatown before your train arrives or departs.
Dress up or dress down nobody's gonna target you once they see how vigilant you are. Hualamphong is the heart of Bangkok which only gets dangerous if you let it.

No comments: