Tuesday 31 March 2015

Asam Pedas Claypot - Restoran Kota Laksamana 1



We had a hard time deciding which Malay restaurant we should go to for assam pedas. There are so many around, we didn't know where to start. Until we stumbled upon the mammoth crowd here...in we went. 





I have never ever seen so many people patronising just one restaurant ! See the shoplot on the left side of this photo ? Well, the shutters went zam zam alakazam up when they ran out of table space and within 10 minutes, that shoplot was full too ! Customers that came later had to stand and wait for other patrons to finish their meal. 




The menu is very basic. Depends on what fish you want, the gravy remains the same throughout. Watery with a stinging hot climax. Lightly fragrant with herbs .
Each plate of rice, comes with a salted duck egg , a spoonful of delicious hot sambal paste and quite possibly the worst cabbage recipe ever. I love vegies but this is plain awful. 




We made the mistake of assuming that they'd know how to adjust the portion for us. Each order is enough for only one pax hence you'll need to be very specific. 
Tenggiri on the left, skatefish on the right.
In terms of freshness, well, it's just ok. Coming from Penang, I just ate a little. The saving grace was the addictive gravy, so I lapped  that  up . Spoon after spoon , my plate of rice flooded  into  a river of oil and red , and in no time, I needed another plate with another duck egg. I don't normally consume so much rice. As for duck eggs, that was probably my quota for half a year , and I only eat the yolk and ditch the whites, but in this case, it does complement the rice nicely. Just takes some initial getting used to. Bad habit to pick up from here lol. 




Took this picture off Foursquare. Belongs to someone else, not mine. Just to show you what the kembong looks like. 
Very stinky and fishy . Not my thing. 


If I ever return, I will give the fish to someone else , chuck the vegies, order 3 salted ducks egg and enjoy the gravy with 2 plates of white rice. Yup, that would do it.

Location : Kota Laksamana , Malacca

No comments: