Tuesday 31 March 2015

Kopitiam Tanka - Malacca's version of Yong Taufoo


From the neat rows of fishpaste stuffed into aubergines, deep fried beancurd puffs , shitake mushroom caps , one can guess what are the bestsellers. 
Apart from the usual offerings, they've gotten more innovative and even have crabsticks and whole scallops shells plastered with more fishpaste too. For that , you'll have to poke your head in the 2 chiller bins . Be prepared to be amazed by the variety those chiller bins contain.




In Penang , if I want fishpaste , I'll either have to make it myself or get chummy with the fishmonger before he decides he'll ask his worker to beat some for me. First option is out of the question. I neither have the skill nor patience to scrape fish meat from bones and skin. Second option no go either. Because I don't wanna buttlick no fishmonger. Pulez. When the need for a fix arises , you'll find me at Jalan Ipoh. Love that Ampang Yong Taufoo shop for all of the bamboo shoots and dried sole fish pounded in. 

Anyway, when we arrived at the doorstep, I have to admit that I looked upon their " 3rd generation homemade fishball " makers declaration with sarcasm . We all know how even the second generation , can screw up . 
However,  after eating here,  I believe them. 




Unfortunately, they're not that good with beancurd based products. Just extremely excellent with deepfried fishpaste based ones.





Inevitably, our first bowl ended with one miss. Did not find the taufoopok beancurd puff to my liking. Blame it on Bentong Taupok. Nothing else comes close to that. 
However, the shitake caps were right up my alley and I still salivate over the mere picture of them. 



Take note that most customers order a konlo mee dry noodle with their individually selected fishpaste combo.
The noodles contain lard but we didn't try them as we only had fishpaste on our mind when we walked in. Straight to the point . Sometimes we eat like this. 

Location : Kota Laksamana, Malacca

No comments: