Saturday 6 June 2015

Tesco - Plaza Arena


Tesco was the first supermarket to open in Hungary .
And just like how we Malaysians refer to instant noodles as Maggi , some Hungarians use the word Tesco when they mean supermarket.

It's a hot summers day and a good number of all the sexy Hungarian mamas and girls are dressing the part. One of the reasons why I love the city. They dress as skimpy as I do at home....only they also take it out onto the streets with no one batting an eyelid. Plus they don't care how many lovely lady lumps they have , they will show it. 
Think Gypsy or chav fashion.
From the fashion they sport , some men will go godamnit   , yes they dress like Minah Rempit  although most European women may not see eye to eye with their fashion sense. Style of the people in the street during summer is closer to the Russians only more carefree. In fact I think if they were to let a bunch of Hungarian women loose in say... Prangin Mall or some Ah Lian clothes haunt in Malaysia , they would go ballistic !





 Plaza Arena is accessible from Keleti station on foot. 
Just follow the crowd past this Agip petrol station .
As you are pounding the pavement with them , you will see traces of the old communist state in the distance. Like their apartments and dilapidated yards for one. Like how they're usually potrayed in the movies. 





How times have changed. Near St Stephen's Basilica especially. But we're here now in Tesco Plaza Arena and I like this mall because it definitely feels like the ones we get in Malaysia . I fit right in. Once a mall rat always a mall rat. 




There is free wifi in the concourse. 
Faster than a speeding bullet.
Until I look up and see 3 young men staring at me from where they are seated. That alone is enough to make me Belah you know. 3 gwai lo staring....huh...very not used to it.

Make a toilet stop. No charge. It's free. 
And I really have to stop dead in my tracks. 
There are sinks but where on earth are the cubicles ?
Behind the door actually and for a good reason too. 
Oh the aroma. The door is essential .
That barrier needed. 
Contrary to other traveller reports , all the mall toilets I have been to, are equipped with toilet paper. 





Continue on and pass this huge foodcourt.




Here are some of the things that I found in Tesco.

Tulips ! 
Man , I love tulips and was so delighted to see these. 




I also like to check out the on the go foods people consume here.
Not much different from London .




Now these are Hungarian Paprikas.
Wonder why they are green . Always assumed they would be red. 




Red ones are hanging as decoration at this pickle counter featured in an earlier post.




Brains ! 

Again I thought that we Chinese were the only ones that knew how to appreciate this gross looking  ingredient. 
Here I think they have dishes where even if you ate it , you wouldn't even know because it's been mashed up with other items and heavily salted. 




Hungarian salami and sausages .
There are so many varieties , besides this chiller there is a huge dedicated counter as well. 




Apart from the occasional men staring because we are a rare species here , no one bothers you.  So surprised that this huge city is so safe . Fancy that !

As I made my way back towards Keleti , tiny snow like specks of white flew by.
Grass pollen .
Hope you can see the dots in the backdrop of the setting sun.





Location : Budapest 

No comments: