Thursday 2 July 2015

Taking a minibus to Fisherman ' s Bastion


Hope this shot shows you how even in the cloudiest weather I can still find a reason to grin it out. As well as find something cute, funny, a little bit nutty and naughty to think about.






Having heard about Hungarian bus drivers need for speed from Silad, I was sooo hopeful that I could relive those crazy 80's minibus moments up here once more .
We are going to tear up cobblestones in the castle district !
Alas the drivers of bus no.16 all toodled along like a chugging train with a ship's anchor on their behind. 





Those of you who want to do this route , exit Széll Kármán tér , turn right , walk up the hill and find this castle like building . Hop on the number 16 blue minibus at this stop. 





Short ride later , I get off at Holy Trinity Square where this 15 meter tall Holy Trinity Column aka Szentharomsag Szobor stands. 
 Made in the mid 1700s by Philipp Ungleich , it was commisioned by Bishop Althann to help ward off the plague. 
Angels and saints surround the sandstone pillar while the Holy Trinity keeps a watchful eye over the square .  






As I'm sizing the area up, 
well, well, what have we here ? 
Lapels, medals, buttons wow !




Nice uniforms ! Am not only very appreciative but also super geeky enthusiastic whenever I see men in uniform ! 



When they're out of sight , I try but fail to fit Matthias church and me in the back. 
Got photobombed so many times I eventually gave up. 




Cross the road .
That's roughly where I was earlier.
Wet and cloudy. And cold too. 




 The first King of Hungary , is also a Hungarian Saint. King Stephen I , sits astride his horse at the entrance to Halazsbastya ...the Fisherman's Bastion .
The story of his life depicted on the column below. 




  

Location : Budapest 

No comments: