Sunday 13 December 2015

Olympia Traveller de Luxe - my first vintage typewriter



 This typewriter below, is one of the reasons why I am willing to chat with any "ulat" or scalper who may be able to get me whatever it is that I am impatient to lay my hands on , almost instantly .
The general notion is never to talk to strangers but to me , hey , willing buyer , willing seller and these people are exactly the shortcut which I need . They're just trying to make a few bucks and they will go all out to assist you . Unless , you got yourself a trickster , which always presents a risk , in Malaysia , if they're local folks , out of 50 times maybe you will get one cheating case . Today marks my first time dealing with one in a flea market and I am so glad it turned out so well .

Though he had tailed me from an antique dealer , the instant he knew that I sensed him behind me , he opened his mouth and made the offer. He was eager to offload what he had . Revealed that he was formerly a printer technician .
 And it certainly helped that he looked like Donnie Yen with tatoos lol . I told him to show me the goods . Because he was so cooperative , we decided to wait 3 hours and meet up again with him closer to his home .







Almost fainted when he put this on the table . I knew it was going to be an Olympia but a Traveller de Luxe ? Oh mai gawd . 
How much ? Double oh mai gawd.
 Test it first . 
All's well. Damn. I want it .

And then we begin to pound on the other one , yet another Olympia portable, the tail end of the SM 9's , with light as a feather to the punch keys . What am I to doooo ?




By now , he asks if we are antique dealers . I flash him a cheeky grin and said no. What makes him think we are ? I tell him I want to use it and not use it as a cafe deco .

Moving onto to getting a discount , since I want both . He looks at him , my typewriter tester . I break into a smile and tell him don't waste his time because I'm the one that wants it and it's better he deals with me. I don't budge on my offer , he gives in . 

Done deal .

Ended up with two , in much better condition than what you would find at the local antique shop. 
He's probably wondering what we want with 2 typewriters .....all I can tell you is that this phase is a natural progression from blog writing and my fountain pen craze period .

Very pleased with my purchases . Now let's get them clean. 



No comments: