Tuesday 19 January 2016

Maths with no logic


Just had nasi tomato for dinner .
I'm showing you a packet of Nasi Lemak with I which stands for Ikan and a lone egg to illustrate the illogical maths equation I was subjected to when the owner's son totalled up my bill .




Nasi tomato boy : 
" Lapan campur tujuh ...lapan....lapanlah "
( Eight plus seven is eight . That'll be eight ringgit )

Muah :
blinking . Trying to let it register .
I take out a ten and hand it to him .

Nasi Tomato boy :
He blinks . Looks at me .

Muah :
I don't want to correct him because I really like their cooking . So I utter out ...
" Errrrr...."

Nasi tomato boy :
Looks exasperated . Repeats himself
" Lapan campur tujuh . 
Sebelas lapan "
( Eight plus seven . Eleven eighty )

Muah :
Blinking again because I was holding my breath and waiting for him to say fifteen . Okayyyy.
I hand him an extra 2 ringgit.

Nasi tomato boy :
Hands me 20 sen back in change  .

Kiddo :
" You should have taught him ! And given him the correct amount " 

Muah : 
" What ? And embarass him ? 
Gosh no way . I still wanna be his customer "

Kiddo :
" Well , then ask him to use a calculator "

Muah :
" You realise you're younger than he is and yet you still don't like me to teach you stuff ? He's more than 20 and you want me to do what ? "

I go home and eat in disturbed silence, with a frown plastered across my face , shaking my head like I'm on some kinda prescription . 
My takeaway dinner is amazing as usual but today , my head is throbbing .

In a gist : Kids , although the Nasi Tomato boy has probably not attended school , please , puleeezzz take your math lessons seriously or you might cause someone , somewhere out there in the big wide world , to frown over her very tasty dinner one day .

Location : Penang 

No comments: