Monday 31 October 2016

Maiden quest for Sitiawan Kampung Koh Chilli Sauce



Ngo Kia Jong which stands for NKJ, is today's trademark acronym for the famous bottled sauce recipe which was originally started by Ngo Kie Swee in 1969 .

Sweet , sour , spicy and tangy , it has gotten most of us hooked till no siew mai or loh mai kai is complete without a small saucer of this sauce by the side .






 While almost every Chinese dimsum shop in Malaysia has a supply of garlic chilli sauce in their kitchen , not many may know that
 this is the original creator of the super popular recipe which spawned many copycats even giant corporations to follow suit .

Yeah it may be original but does the taste match up ? I will give my verdict at the end of this post .




Anyway , while we had that yummy Chia Hu in Matang , because I still had Kum Loong's Kampung Koh chilli sauce on my lips , we drove further   where I eventually found a grocer who had this at the darkest corner of her shop .
Beats me why they do not capitalise on this and put it out front on display where everybody can easily spot it .





Do note the ingredients listed above .
The number is there for you to contact if you are keen on getting some for yourself .

Verdict : nothing like the sauce Kum Loong is serving . My search shall resume later on .
A bit too hot and spicy because they probably use China chillies these days but the twang , aroma and zesty flavour is still present . Like I said , I will continue searching till I find the sauce served at Kum Loong for their dimsums .


Location : Perak 

2 comments:

Thomas Lee/Lee Lip Pang said...

this sauce goes nicely with tim sum

gostansikit said...

You know right ? 😊