Wednesday 19 October 2016

There is a Jenaka in the Celaka


For some reason or other , koochi moochi read this page out loud .
After my ears started bleeding 
, I snatched the book from him and then my eyes nearly popped out .

Found fault with the word
 " Kecelakaan "
 in this language guidebook meant for Chinese school students .

 Co written by a Malay lady and Chinese lady mind you , the word 
" kemalangan " would have been more appropriate . 
If both authors really found the need to utilise the word Kecelakaan , it shouldn't have been repeated so many times .
7 times to be exact . 
That's not just way too many times , that is plain and downright Celaka kali tujuh .






I am no language expert , yet I found the usage and construction so incredibly bewildering , jaw dropping , confusing and annoying , the other " expert " suggested that I go google it and see what that would lead to .

 This .
Sooooo.....
the writer either googled the word accident or one of them is an Indon .




I cannot imagine if an MP begins to use this word in Parliament . 
" Bla bla bla... ditimpa kecelakaan " 
If he's referring to himself , it might elicit giggles and guffaws . If he's making an excuse for a rival , that's gonna come off as a semi insult .


To double reconfirm , I dug out the old DBP , which verified what Uncle Google spit out , yet when applied to Bahasa Malaysia , I still think the word use is unsuitable .

Anyway , we all had a good laugh over it , hope you did too !

My final advise is to use the word sparingly . Please .  


  

No comments: