Thursday 17 November 2016

Nearly camouflaged


One reason why I don't like to stand too close to trees is you never know what wildlife you might unexpectedly find .

At one highway rest stop , I rested my palm against a small tree until I saw 2 beady eyes staring straight back at me ! It was a tree lizard and the body camouflage was so perfect , if I did not look closer at the bark I wouldn't even have gotten a fright of my life .
Ya I hate lizards . Hate hate hate hate hate 'em . And I almost fainted after seeing 2 small eyes right next to my hand ! 
Eeeeeeyuccckkssssss





See what's on this tree now .
Near perfect camouflage if not for the orange tipped bottle brush tail .

I like squirrels but the mere action of it suddenly lunging out of the way would also give me such a great big fright , my eventual scream would probably wake up all the secondary forest inhabitants on the next hill .





As I marvelled away at its powerful muscles , I was reminded of the time when some neighbourhood boys had laid a trap and caught a squirrel .

Upon following them back and finding out that the creature was intended for the cooking pot , I always thought their mother was a witch for skinning the little guy and never set foot near their home from that day onward .

Of course , only years later did I find out that there was such a thing called squirrel soup ( as well as some nasty lizard eyucks soup ) but I'll have you know I only drank squirrel soup ONLY ONCE IN MY LIFE AND THAT'S THE END OF IT because I was forced to and if anyone ever serves me this again , I'll cook that person in the pot instead .




No comments: