Saturday 17 December 2016

Obsessed with schwenk steak


Before I begin , I'd like you to know that I'm not exactly fond of pork back home . Because of poor quality feeds and very unsanitary conditions , it not only affects the smell of the meat , it can be a major turn off !

However , I decided to brave it and the very first schwenk steak we tried in Frankfurt was so darned good that we decided to sink our fangs into one whenever there was space left in our tummies and in whichever city or small town we found ourselves in next .

Starting with this grill we found near the Galleria 



Just couldn't take my eyes off what the schwenkmeister was cooking . 
If I wasn't sure at first , the gentle circular pendulum swinging , beech firewood and oh my gawd the aroma did me over 


So this is the schwenk steak that started a new obsession . Our new mission .
So tender , so tasty and well marinated , with meat that pulled away easily in parts while requiring slightly stronger finger grip on another side , this ladies and gentlemen is the neck part 


When we headed back to Offenbach , we tried one that looked like a square meatloaf at Rewe and it was nothing short of amazing folks . Wanted to gorge on 2 but had to hold back as we were supposed to join the rest of the group for dinner  .


Schwenk steak number 3 we enjoyed in Rotherberg .
A little bit tougher but no less delicious . With the weather being close to freezing , this was sheer heaven .



Smoking hot heaven ! Oh yeah !


By the time we reach Nuremberg ...
( no this is not the place where we found it , instead this was where we had the speciality nuremberg bratwurst with horseradish )....


We had steak number 4 . 
Which was a bit of a variation , milder seasoning , sweeter ( as opposed to salty ) because of the onions , porkier taste , tender as usual , I never imagined I would be eating this much pork while on tour here .

Bring on the next steak . There's still room in my expanding pouch , I'm ready for it .



At the medieval fair in Eisenach's Wartburg Castle , there was a stall selling schwenk steak . 
Since everyone seemed to be buying the grilled satay pork on a sword , we we opted for this instead .



Huge !
Feast like a lord .



Erfurt we were told , was a very German town . And we found this stall we the best bratwurst with hints of mint ...


...another meat on skewer which was quite tough . But because the marinade was very intense , naturally we took on an additional schwenk steak which turned out to be tough and dry too .



By the time we got to Dresden , my travel partner had completely surrendered and gone off anything to do with oinkers . Ah , but not I ...thus I proceeded to try this stall out .
Turned out to be a whole chunk of ham in bread ! Delicious !



Ever seen anything like this before ?
The queue was justified !








No comments: