Monday 2 January 2017

Wild caught Jumbo Sea Tiger Prawns



Went to the market and found wild caught Jumbo Sea Tiger Prawns at 80 ringgit per kati ( that's per 600 grams ) .
Selected 3 of the best looking specimens before one lady came and sapu-ed the rest ( about 15 numbers in all she took ) . Mannnn.....I didn't even want to stay back to hear how much the entire lot would cost her .

These 3 alone took 40 ringgit . 
If you think that is excessive , then compare the size of the porcelain spoon to the prawns . They're not farmed but caught in local waters .





The other day , in Germany , I was going through the menu at Ka Da We department store . 
One large King Prawn was priced at around 120 ringgit . Just for one . Wasn't willing to pay that much . That's why I waited till we came home .

We're having 3 for 40 ringgit , so I'm quite thankful for that , even though I am kinda tight fisted when I enter the wetmarket .




Again , hubs says me being able to land Jumbo Tiger Prawns caught in the wild was a feat in itself as the species is increasingly rare . He was adamant that I had bought farmed ones .

After cooking ( refer to the picture of the just cooked prawns above ) , the lobster like game texture proved that I had indeed not been conned by the seller . It was delicious , so packed with meat we immediately floated to heaven .

Excuse muah , but I have to brag that , that was exceptional . Minimal ingredients needed to highlight a meat so spectacular .

If you'd like to try it out , my recipe uses semi-sweet Spanish red wine , iodised Japanese salt and Sarawak white pepper to marinate . 
After which I pan fry the prawns on a low fire with occasional lashings of the retained marination liquid , then
finish it off with a quick stir in, of a portion of pre-fried Irish butter ( because that's the only butter I have in the fridge ) sauteed with a whole clove of chopped garlic , Spanish olive oil and Malaysian palm oil mix . 

Darned good, hearty , tasty and rich , I tell ya .

No comments: