Wednesday 5 April 2017

Cita Rasa Malaysia ( PTS ) - Malay cooking made really , really easy


When I want to cook Malay cuisine , these 2 books are gold to me .
Small and convenient sized to store , read and hold , I find myself referring to these 2 most often due to the incredible feedback from my family ( the guinea pigs )




Priced very modestly at around MYR 5.50 or so , each booklet features recipes that are state specific .
Melaka for instance features recipes by Chef Salbiah .




Another good point about this series ( it's not new , has seen many reprints over the years ) is that the ingredient list is very basic and cost conscious . Not pompously over the top . So you save both time and money .

Spicy skatefish recipe is my fav.
 Even if you don't know how to , you will get it after this . 
The thing is , all recipes are in Malay , though I really think PTS should produce a translated version that can cater to overseas markets .



And when I attempted this creamy bird's eye chilli prawn curry just now , we were all blown away by how simple and quick it was to prepare . 
Tastewise ,
Loved it !





Because Kedah and Penang cuisine is closely linked , I always , always , always have this Kedah booklet ( by Chef Habibi ) around because heck , he thinks everything I ever tried to cook from here is godamn delicious !



There's lots of tomato based recipes but I really love this Petai prawn sambal the most .
So addictive !



Yeah , I also cooked this Assam pedas kembong fish , ( at the same time as the prawn curry above ) and as usual , the true blue Penangkia polished all 8 fishes like a happy fat cat !




Preparation and cooking time is so much faster compared to Chinese cooking , you should give this a try especially if you have northerners in your midst whom you want to impress with minimal effort .






No comments: