Friday 22 September 2017

Spray painting jewellery - rainy day disaster


It's been raining buckets in Penang . Can't go anywhere I want at the risk of coming face to face with flood waters .
What to do ? Hmmmm seeing how I have a weakness for el cheapo stuff , while I was doing my groceries ( because we all still need to eat you know ? ) I spotted this gold spray paint can at the local dollar store , . Perfect project for a rainy day eh ?
Decided to purchase one to experiment and see if it could transform my tarnished fake jewellery pieces instead of  condemning them to the trash .




Turned out to be a horrible disaster .
They transformed alright ....turned into various shades of brassy green and ugh till I was so disgusted and grossed out .
Right .....so all these pieces were formerly shiny gold or shiny copperish red pieces and this is the result it will fetch , if you insist on trying your luck like I did .
In a good way , you can use this to spray paint jewellery for the Hulk you know , since it will match his skin tone ...or a Halloween party when you want to look like you just woke up fresh from the grave .



So gross lemme tell you , I spent some time rubbing the paint out from the necklace and to my surprise , the layer of paint acted like a mud mask that lifted up the tarnished layer and restored some shine back to the copper again .
Still in the process of rubbing it out . Gonna take some time and I haven't even started on the hoop earring yet .



Anyway , with this material below , the antique looking kind , it yielded a different result partly because I have dark hair and this piece , after spraying , will stand out instead of disappearing .



There you have it .
Added on a layer of glittery gold nail polish .


And this is what it looks like now. 
While those first 2 pieces were a disaster , I'm pretty pleased with this one .


No comments: