Tuesday 30 June 2015

Buying wild honey from a local Indian guy


The big Indian guy passed our table . He was lugging something heavy . Looked me in the eye and asked me if I wanted some. 
I thought he was selling drinks and I told him no. 
When he walked off , I noticed a huge blob of something floating at the top. 
That's his friend , not the big guy.






He was selling raw honey he had just smoked out from a hive in the trees behind the Tua Pek Kong temple in Air Itam . How radical. That's no easy feat. 

Yes , this is wild honey in it's raw form. 
Usually it is the Indonesians or Aborigines who do this. Very unusual to see an Indian guy trying to pitch honey. 

" Berapa " I asked him for the price.
He proceeded to scoop it out and to my utmost horror said 
" Enam puluh " that's 60 ringgit for a bottle !
When I protested he told me the following.
"I have no job and this is an honest living, at least I am not extorting nor resorted to gangsterism. "

Ah ....ok . Fine. 
He's got a point there. He's right. 
He's right. No one wants to employ them now. Not even their own people. They prefer to get Banglas for any of the jobs they used to do such as roadworks , contract jobs even garbage collectors. Also remember them as the most hardworking parking ticket collectors but the scratch card system signalled the end of that means for them. 
Still I tried to beat down the price to 50 .
He settled for 55.




All he used was a funnel.
Local folks do rever things from this area and some old men at the back bought a few bottles from him too. 




That's his leg and hand on the left.
He quickly grabbed a big plate of nasi kandar and ate hungrily while his friend er played with his phone this way. 
We were told to leave the bottle open for at least 10 minutes before capping it. 

 It was hubs who fished out the money and was a little apologetic about his honey beating it down 5 dollars. 
I married a good man who has taught me to give. 
$55 may seem a lot but if you can help keep another person's dignity so he can tuck into a hearty meal it is not too much .





If you see this guy maybe you can help him out even if my picture only shows his hands and legs.
It takes a lot of daring do to go jolok the sarang tebuan just for a meal. 
Like he said , 
" it is rare and not always that you get this opportunity "
and while he was referring to his tub of honey , I taught the teen that while I do not give to professional beggars , I will buy this overpriced honey from that guy whom nobody wants to employ. 
We CAN help our Indian friends can't we ?

Anyway , the honey is so raw and unfiltered it runs like mercury . Tastes ok but we will think of this seller and wish him well with every teaspoon that we take. 

No comments: