Friday 22 June 2012

Soy Street by Day



I have many fond memories of Soy Street. It marked my first foray into this bustling city, during my maiden trip to Hong Kong many years back.




I love how everything comes to life here in the morning.




There are so many cut offs and streets that serve as an outflow ,urging you on to put on your walking shoes and explore further.




The presence of two schools in the area, as well as a small park, adds to the flurry of excitement with happy chattering kids pounding the pavement,once in the morning and then later again around 4 or 5pm



An adjacent alley behind, where a wet market lies adds to the flavour and character of this street .




Food is abundant in every corner. Whatever you fancy.




This junction forces everything to come to a halt ,to catch a breather for a minute or two before moving on.



A cinema notice serves as reminder to me, as to just how I take certain things for granted back home.

Cinema tickets are so expensive in most parts of the world !




The last of the dai pai tongs in an alleyway on this street makes me wanna tear up.

I might not see this again in the near future.




Any angle you look at this little street, your eyes are forced skywards.
You can't help but worry for the future of the old but very retro highrises



As the newer monoliths make their forward march , I hope they will never squeeze the life out of the wonderful street that has won a warm spot in my heart.






No comments: