Friday 18 October 2013

Dear Pok Mat



Pok Mat has been working at this resort since the day it first opened. I'm sure that in his heyday, he too must have been as popular as Benny and the other fabulous beachboys.
But when he bragged that if I had followed his boat * yes, he's a boatman *, I would not only shed my fear of the water, I would also be able to snorkel like the rest,swim freely even, I just laughed my head off.


Turns out he, had the last laugh because somehow, that was the day I momentarily put aside my phobia.
" You must believe in your lifejacket" " You must believe that when you put it on, you will never drown"



My gawd, I don't know how he psychoed me to think that I could do it, but somehow I could finally snorkel. Which made me oblivious to this danger. 6 inches more and I would have been fried. Pok Mat to the rescue...
Phews !


 
After coming back, he took three of us to snorkel round the rock where this sign lay.
Yeah, this place was where one Mat Salleh guy started frightening everyone to get out of the water. Pok Mat just glanced at him like he had too much sun. haha.




He showed us the crazy cute popping Xmas tree worms, scary looking white eels that hid under rocks, baby sharks, even the much feared Titan Triggerfish .
What undercurent ? Soooo awwwwwesome !
Not only that he semi trained me to swim like a fish without my lifejacket ( yeah ! I could ! yayzzz ),float like a pufferfish and dive like a dolphin ( failed coz my bums too big I think ). I got too tired, furthermore we were going back the next morning. But I think if I had spent more time with him, I probably could be a part time mermaid after that.




Dear Pok Mat,you probably don't get as much 'fanmail' as the boys below and at my age, I shouldn't be doing so lest people think I have gotten a fever.




Still, I just wanna say thanks for giving me the courage to overcome my fear of the open water .
It's true,what you said, I really could swim without my lifejacket ! I think you're great . Really, really great !
And thanks from the bottom of my heart.

 

No comments: