Wednesday 4 December 2013

Hodjapasha Dance Theater - Whirling Dervishes

When I enquired about the performance at the hotel desk , I realised that here,they refer to it as " Sufi " performance and not Dervish Dance . Booking confirmation number in hand , I went upstairs to this counter where the cute little dervish dolls and Dervish hats are.  



Although most were foreigners, you could sense the urgency in the air. Most wanted a front seat and I too thought that by being one of the first few in line , I could get myself in front, but no , your seat number has already been reserved for you beforehand, the instant you asked your hotel desk, to do it.
Second row, sigh..



Notice all the old bricks around the top ? Well, the dance theatre is in a converted Hamam or Turkish bath. Waiting area is lined with posters on the histories of the dances showcased here. Yeah, they have a later performance on folk dances, but I really don't wanna hang around, since this place is in one of the off roads behind the main road.




It's my first time witnessing a Dervish performance and I really don't know what to expect. Still from what I know, cameras are not allowed inside. And you cannot clap during or after the ceremony



Quick nip downstairs to the ornate toilet. There's a bunch of Indonesian ladies in line. If you're in a hurry, take note that there's just one loo for each sex so there....




Made it back just in time. 
The anticipation is killing me.Ooo can't wait.



Well, this is the performance area. When the musicians step in there's a hush. Music goes on for sometime as an introduction I guess. Turns out the Indonesian ladies, were sitting in front of me, which annoys a Mat Salleh lady 3 seats away because of her enormous um, I don't know what to call it, since it's totally in trend from Iran to Malaysia even. Let's call it the big bump. Yup, the big bump blocked her view and she got so annoyed, waiting for her to make the slightest mistake ( talking to her friend especially when verses from the Quran were read out ) before she touched her shoulder in a * friendly * not * manner of warning her in so many words to shut her mouth.
Roll eyes up. I don't know lah.





Like I said, we weren't allowed to take photos, and out of respect I didn't. The mood was very serious and sombre. But the dance itself was a beautiful spectacle . At one point , one of the dancers started shedding tears, I think, but upon checking with Ismail, he said, nope, it was sweat.
 True, the spinning made me feel a little dizzy especially towards the last quarter, but I loved it nevertheless as the male participants gave it their all and you could really feel their love and devotion to their religion. Very pure,intense, yet mysterious and magical at the same time.
( photo below is from another open air tourist area)



Would I recommend this place to others ? Yes, why not, but only if you love dances steeped in culture and history. This being a Mevlevi Sema ceremony, I felt rather blessed to have been given the chance to know the beauty of Sufism first hand. 




Location : Hodjapasha Dance Theatre



No comments: