Monday 30 December 2013

Jeruk maman and fist sized prawns - Gurun R&R Northbound (U)



How many times I have passed here, yet only today, I venture in. Wanna kick myself cos most of the dishes are quite good.




Since it's rather early, and there's a lull in the holiday crowd, the staff , though rather busy, can afford a breather to entertain my queries.




So this is what's called Jeruk Maman. Apparently, the nice sweet lady tells me it's a local Gurun delicacy but upon googling I see that it is listed as a dish from Perlis.
So anyway, it's basically a pickle with heavy Thai influence and not bad tasting really. 
" You have to eat it with sambal belacan " she informs me.
She eyes me rather worriedly, because you know, I'm an Amoi and she's wondering if I can take it or not. Hah ....no problemo. Bring it on, just don't overdo it.



Actually, I didn't even know of the existence of this local delicacy, because these prawns ( some the size of a fist ) were what stopped me dead in my tracks. While there are smaller ones, I took the RM 12 sized ones. The price can go up to as high as RM17 per prawn, but it's worth it, very tasty as the head is full of delicious roe which makes the sauce creamier.
Try sink your fangs into some of that ! huh...nice.




In case, you'd like to try what Jeruk Maman tastes like , this is the counter you have to head for. The dish is not available every day, so count your lucky stars if you see it on display .




Location : Yaakob bin Ramli ( Selera Kampung )
Gurun R & R Northbound


No comments: