Sunday 12 October 2014

Lunch at The Ship , Batu Feringghi



After one dissapointment after the next ,over so called new hip dining places , sometimes I prefer to fall back on the good old places we Malaysians love best.
According to hubs, the old Esquire Kitchen boss has a hand in this ( not sure how true this is but I spotted him in Nam Heong last time with a bunch of his pals, again pointed out by hubs ) . He mentioned that this category of western food is in the same category as Coliseum in KL.....essentially a colonial Hainanese western restaurant. The Hainanese chefs learnt how to cook from the Brits, but along the way, the recipe here at The Ship,  has become more Americanised with a strong oriental influence.





This restaurant holds a lot of sweet memories for me.
It was my first western sit down restaurant and the first time I watched a live Helmi and the Gimmick comedy entertainment show until I almost died from laughing fits.



Today,were a lot of Japanese diners amongst the lunch crowd. It's a weekend and I have no idea why so many Japanese tourists are coming in on their own via taxi and even on foot.
High probability of them drawn in by this sight.
I mean, who wouldn't be right ? 


The vast dining room reminds one of an intimate Captain's dinner which one attends during a cruise.



Like real. You got to see it to believe it.
I've been here countless times yet the novelty has not worn off.
Just love the place.


Kiddo at first wanted a Bombay Steak.
Chutney is not his thing and I had to tell him so or else we would had to end up finishing it for him.
Changed the order to a Black Mushroom steak. These are shitake mushrooms not portobello . Caucasians do not like shitake , while orientals do ,please bear that in mind.


While he had the sizzling steak.
K....my camera's acting up again


Back to the original poster boy. This was our waiter.
Quite a handsome fellow in his uniform. 
The brandy has gone in and it's showtime ladies and gentlemen.


End product. My order.
Flambe steak with brandy. Actually the correct name of the dish is longer than that. Very fanciful and long but let's just call it flambe steak.
Not what it used to be. Or maybe it's because after eating Wagyu steak in Tokyo and Argentinian assador in Buenos Aires, well....you simply cannot compare.
Probably the best flambe steak was one I had at the old Le Coq D'or a million centuries ago.
But this will do. I like the fire, the waiter and I feel damn good about the service meted out by the dashing chap.



Happy customers smile like this
( especially when the bill's not on me he he )



Location : Batu Feringghi, Penang, Malaysia

No comments: