Friday 12 December 2014

Look what I found at the Fountain of the Old Boat



Located at the bottom of the Spanish Steps at Piazza di Spagna, there is an interesting story behind the fountain . In 1598, the Tiber overflowed its banks and this Piazza was flooded in a meter of water . After the flood waters subsided, an old boat was left behind. Pope Urban VII then commissioned the fountain to be built.



Made to look like it is about to sink, today, it has been newly restored , so much so that you might think it is a brand new fountain . On top of that, the water looked so clean, not many dared fill their water bottles with it . But I did and my complexion practically cleared up after days of consuming Roman spring waters exclusively . Not kidding, drink the fresh water while you're here.


Never mind that , you see the rose petals ? Work of the Bangla sellers. They kept dipping the flower heads into the pool.


Anyway, that's beside the point. See what I found here.
A one ringgit note. That means there's another Malaysian lurking around. Nowadays, with more and more noisy  China tourists stealing our thunder so to speak , we and the Singaporeans are not so loud. Last time however, you could hear us from half a kilometre away. No joke. So even though we behave more civilized these days, old habits die hard. 



If you think that note belongs to me and I put it there, well, you're wrong. Nobody throws notes into just any fountain in Rome. 
Me, ah, I did something far worse than this at the Trevi. Of course, you should expect nothing less from muah. People remember me more for my audacious unthinking moments ( shame ) . Hang on , we'll get there eventually.

Location : Fontana della Barcaccia, Rome

No comments: