Tuesday 3 February 2015

The problem with reservations



Yesterday I tried to do a booking over the phone. The person in charge of reservations was at first very helpful until she found out that I had a gift voucher . My mistake , I should have made the booking then only told her about the free stay. But that only leads to more problems and I've been there, so I'd rather be upfront about it than have to wrestle with them later on.

In the manner which all hardened sales people behave , she nonchalantly stated that the date was unavailable as they were fully booked . I told her to upgrade me or give me something lesser than the value on paper. I was ok with that and as for the upgrade, I would top up extra . Just let me know how much. 


Said she : " Seeing that today is a Monday , and we are running full on that particular day, I will need to check all emails received over the weekend before I can give you a confirmation BY THE END OF THE DAY " . 
What a load full of bs, she's telling me some fantastic grandfather story. Not once does it have anything to do with their company policies, instead they make things up as they go along. If you do not wise up to their tricks, then, it will take you a while before you learn how to beat them at their dirty game and outwit them .

I had a feeling that she was never going to assist me and by the end of the day , the answer would be still no. And I would have to settle for the date she dictated, according to her whims and fancies.

It happens.

Lunch. These people take the longest lunch break . True enough, she's not in after lunch. Her colleague picks up my call and you know what ? Miraculously, there are rooms available. Wow. I'm boiling inside but I thank this nice, honest lady for her help. Not once did I hide the fact that I was claiming it. For free. She knew. She just asked me about the blackout dates and well, no fuss, easy. No problem. Ok , everything is settled in a most easygoing yet professional manner . My booking is confirmed . Fine, I'm happy. 

No sooner than 3 minutes later, I get a call. Been waiting for her to call me from 10 am to 2 plus pm , when it takes her just 3 minutes to mobilise a response, only AFTER she realises that I just pulled the rug out from under her . 
Smooth operator tries to take credit for the booking. No stammering, no stuttering. What a fantastic actress
" There were cancellations and I had instructed my colleague to book for you on my behalf "

If she had not called me, and told me a pack of lies as a cover up, I would have let the matter be. As a consequence , I tell her to F off and follow up with a nasty letter cc to the G.M. 
To which he promptly replied. 
My advice : never take the people in charge of reservations 
at face value. Especially in this region. How to spot them ? They're mostly giving you negative replies to almost all of your requests and speak with chirpy confidence and authority. 

The honest ones sound more laidback . Some sound like they are sleepy even. I'm not kidding. 

And Magdalene , if you're reading this, I expect my stay to go smoothly. Don't try and screw me up a second time. 




No comments: